Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- How do I connect my guitar/bass/keyboard to my iPhone®, iPod touch®, or iPad™?
- Obviously, a standard guitar cable will not plug directly into your mobile device. But input is not the only problem that must be overcome. You need an interface to achieve high quality input and output signals. Ground Up Audio is making an interface that will allow you to properly play your guitar through your iPhone®, iPod touch®, or iPad™. Please check our Hardware page for more information.
- Can’t I just use the microphone as an audio input?
- Yes, the built-in microphone on the iPhone® or the microphone on the earbud headphones can be used, but it will pick up every sound in the room, not just your instrument. For the best sound quality we recommend using an interface. See our Hardware page for more information on audio interface solutions for the iPhone®, iPod touch®, and iPad™.
- Will another product I own work as an interface?
- We’ve received many inquiries about third party hardware solutions. While input may be achieved with a number of different methods, high quality audio input is unachievable without a proper interface. A high quality audio interface requires a solution far more advanced than a simple Y-cable. To learn more about one of the issues that we are addressing with our interface design, please read our article iPhone, Impedance, and You.
- Can I input via a headset microphone and output via the built-in speaker?
- No. While it would be really nice to choose how to route audio input and output, unfortunately that is not possible. Input and output are controlled by the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad hardware, not the software. The hardware detects when something is plugged into the headset jack and automatically reroutes the audio output from the built-in speaker to the headphone output. The iPhone OS development environment does not provide a way for developers to override this.
- Will the apps and interface work on my iPod touch® model?
- Maybe. Not every iPod touch® is made with the same specifications and features. Some models are able to receive audio via the headphone input jack, while unfortunately others cannot. Please check this list to see if your iPod touch® is able to accept audio input. Models marked with a check mark are audio input ready. To identify what model your iPod touch is, please see Apple’s Identifying iPod Models support page.
- List of iPod touch® Models with Audio Input
- iPod touch® 3rd Generation 64 GB
- iPod touch® 3rd Generation 32 GB
- iPod touch® 2nd Generation 32 GB
- iPod touch® 2nd Generation 16 GB
- iPod touch® 2nd Generation 8 GB
- iPod touch® 1st Generation 32 GB
- iPod touch® 1st Generation 16 GB
- iPod touch® 1st Generation 8 GB
- What is that noise I hear when my iPhone is near speakers and audio equipment?
- That intermittent digital buzzing noise is audio interference caused by the GSM transmissions from the iPhone®. We recommend placing your iPhone® in “Airplane Mode,” to avoid audio interference. See Apple Support.
Amps & Cabs™
- What is Amps & Cabs™?
- Amps & Cabs™ is an app for iPhone®, iPod touch®, and iPad™ that emulates traditional amplifiers and speaker cabinets. Connect your guitar to your mobile device, and Amps & Cabs™ allows you to mix and match amps and cabs to make the perfect combination. Adjust the amp controls to create the customized sound you’ve been dreaming about. Now you can get huge sounds without all the heavy lifting. The Amps & Cabs™ app is available on the App Store.
- How do I use Amps & Cabs™?
- Amps & Cabs processes audio in real time, producing a realistic amplifier and speaker cabinet sound. The best quality of sound is achieved when using an interface that allows direct input of a guitar or instrument signal. We’re making an interface that does exactly that and we’ll have more information about it soon. In the mean time, you can plug in your headphones with a built in microphone.
- Do I have to use headphones with Amps & Cabs™?
- No, you are not limited to just headphones when using Amps & Cabs™. In fact, you can send the audio output to an amplifier, directly to a PA system, or into your favorite DAW like Pro Tools, Logic, Garageband, Ableton Live, etc. For more information about input and output see our Hardware solutions page.
- Can I connect my keyboard and bass guitar to Amps & Cabs™?
- Yes. Amps & Cabs™ is not just for guitar. Any instrument with an audio output is compatible. We welcome you to try your bass, keyboard, drum machine, and electric violin with Amps & Cabs™.
- Will Amps & Cabs™ continue to run when the screen goes into lock mode?
- Yes. Amps & Cabs™ stays on even when your device is locked. The screen does not need to be on for audio to continue processing. Make sure to exit the app when not in use or you may hear howling feedback coming from your pocket.
- How many amps and cabs are included in Amps & Cabs™?
- Version 1.0 features three (3) versatile amplifiers and three (3) sizes of cabinets. The amp models are Modern, Retro, and Classic. The cabs are the FourTwelve (4×12), Wilton (2×12), and Oneder (1×12).
Don’t see your question in the Frequently Asked Questions above? Then for technical support, please contact us using this form. Thank you!